DOE Family Update
April 8, 2021
• All families: Last day to opt-in to in-person learning extended to Friday, April 9
• Families applying to Gifted & Talented kindergarten programs: Application
deadline is Friday, April 9
• Families applying to pre-K: Application deadline extended to Monday, April 19
• Families with children in grades 3–8: New York State Exam update
Spring Opt-in Deadline Extended to Friday, April 9
If your child is currently learning remotely every day, they have one final opportunity to opt in
to learning in person in the school building at least part of the week. The deadline to submit
your request to transition to blended learning for the rest of this school year has been
extended to Friday, April 9. How to opt-in to blended learning:
• Online: visit the Learning Preference Survey
at nycenet.edu/surveys/learningpreference to select blended learning for your child.
• By phone: Call 311 to submit your learning preference change.
G&T Kindergarten Application Deadline is Friday, April 9
The application for kindergarten Gifted & Talented (G&T) programs is now open, and the
deadline to apply is April 9. Interested families with children born in 2016 can apply one of
• Online at MySchools.nyc
• Through a Family Welcome Center—visit schools.nyc.gov/fwc to learn more.
• By phone at 718-935-2009—you can also call us with any questions.
Pre-K Application Deadline Extended to Monday, April 19
Now you have more time to explore your child’s pre-K options! The pre-K application
deadline for children born in 2017 has been extended to April 19. Apply online at
MySchools.nyc or by phone at 718-935-2009—you can also call us with any questions.
Learn more at nyc.gov/PreK.
Tests and Assessments
New York State Exams
New York State Exams begin later this month. This year, the New York State Education
Department has determined that English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics exams for
grades 3 through 8, and Science exams for grades 4 and 8, will only be administered in
person in your child’s school building. No remote option will be available.
If you would like your child to participate in this year’s State exams, please notify your
school. If you do not wish to have your child take State exams, you do not have to take any
The exams will be administered within the following dates:
• English Language Arts (ELA) for grades 3 through 8: April 19–29
• Mathematics for grades 3 through 8: May 3–14. Testing will not occur on May 13,
when schools are closed for Eid Al-Fitr.
• Science for grades 4 and 8: June 7–11
Your child’s school will be communicating with more details about the testing process and deadlines. Learn more at schools.nyc.gov/testing.